Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|Clock is ticking as United Autoworkers threaten to expand strikes against Detroit automakers Friday -Capitatum
Algosensey|Clock is ticking as United Autoworkers threaten to expand strikes against Detroit automakers Friday
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 05:12:57
DETROIT (AP) — The AlgosenseyUnited Auto Workers strike against Detroit’s big three automakers that spread to dozens of parts distribution centers one week ago could deepen Friday.
The union has vowed to hit automakers harder if it does not receive what it calls a substantially improved contract offer as part of an unprecedented, simultaneous labor campaign against Ford, General Motors and Jeep maker Stellantis.
UAW President Shawn Fain is scheduled to make an announcement at 10 a.m. Eastern time in a video appearance addressing union members. Additional walkouts will begin at noon Friday, the union said.
The automakers are offering wage increases of 17.5% to 20%, roughly half of what the union has demanded. Other contract improvements, such as cost of living increases, are also on the table.
The union went on strike Sept. 14 when it couldn’t reach agreements on new contracts with Ford, General Motors and Jeep maker Stellantis.
It initially targeted one assembly plant from each company. Last week it added 38 parts distribution centers run by GM and Stellantis. Ford was spared the second escalation because talks with the union were progressing.
The union wouldn’t say what action it would take on Friday, reiterating that all options are on the table.
Fain said Tuesday that negotiations were moving slowly and the union would add facilities to the strike to turn up the pressure on the automakers.
“We’re moving with all three companies still. It’s slower,” Fain said after talking to workers on a picket line near Detroit with President Joe Biden. “It’s bargaining. Some days you feel like you make two steps forward, the next day you take a step back.”
The union has structured its walkout in a way that has allowed the companies keep making pickup trucks and large SUVs, their top-selling and most profitable vehicles. It has shut down assembly plants in Missouri, Ohio and Michigan that make midsize pickup trucks, commercial vans and midsize SUVs, all of which are profitable but don’t make as much money as the larger vehicles.
In the past the union had picked one company as a potential strike target and reached a contract agreement with that company that would serve as a pattern for the others.
But this year Fain introduced a novel strategy of targeting a limited number of facilities at all three automakers, while threatening to add more if the companies do not come up with better offers.
Currently only about 12% of the union’s 146,000 workers at the three automakers are on strike, allowing it to preserve a strike fund that was worth $825 million before Sept. 14.
If all of the union’s auto workers went on strike, the fund would be depleted in less than three months, and that’s without factoring in health care costs.
____
Koenig reported from Dallas.
veryGood! (33)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Checking a bag will cost you more on United Airlines, which is copying a similar move by American
- Green Bay police officer fatally shoots person during exchange of gunfire
- Federal judge grants injunction in Tennessee lawsuit against the NCAA which freezes NIL rules
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- 19-year-old Jaedyn Shaw scores twice as USWNT downs Argentina in Gold Cup
- Wendy Williams Breaks Silence on Aphasia and Frontotemporal Dementia Diagnosis
- My 8-year-old daughter got her first sleepover invite. There's no way she's going.
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- California State University student workers vote to unionize, creating largest such union in country
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Yankees' Alex Verdugo responds to scorching comments from ex-Red Sox star Jonathan Papelbon
- Former Cowboys receiver Golden Richards, known for famous Super Bowl catch, dies at 73
- Celebrity owl Flaco dies a year after becoming beloved by New York City for zoo escape
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Give It Up For the Best SAG Award Red Carpet Fashion Moments of All Time
- Louisiana advances a bill expanding death penalty methods in an effort to resume executions
- Trump says he strongly supports availability of IVF after Alabama Supreme Court ruling
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Score Exclusive Deals During Tory Burch's Private Sale, With Chic Finds Under $100
Give It Up For the Best SAG Award Red Carpet Fashion Moments of All Time
Accio Harry Potter TV Series: Find Out When New Show Will Premiere
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
US investigators provide data on the helicopter crash that killed 6, including a Nigerian bank CEO
Marlo Hampton Exits the Real Housewives of Atlanta Before Season 16
Vanessa Hudgens, Cole Tucker & More Couples Who Proved Love Is the Real Prize at the SAG Awards